Robert B. Cantrick Original Music Collection
Description and Background | Contents and Inventory
- Piano/vocal score: The Friendly Beasts, 1962; separate inlaid paper indicates dedicatee as Shirley Verrett.
- Unbound piano/vocal score: The Friendly Beasts; printing instructions, 1994; two typewritten copies of text for this composition, n.d.
- Twelve unbound pages of The Friendly Beasts, piano/vocal score, n.d.; two copies of vocal part only, with pencil and/or white-out corrections, n.d.; two unbound, identical pages of section 3,4 and 5, instrument unspecified, but probably a violin part.
- Orchestral parts, The Friendly Beasts, with separate list of parts loaned to Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra, May 1975.
French Horn 1
Violin 1, 8 stands
Violin 2, 8 stands
Viola, 6 stands
Cello, 6 stands
- The Friendly Beasts, piano/vocal score, unbound, with pencil corrections, n.d., with dedicatee indicated to be Sara Henderson Hays.
- Pencil sketches of The Friendly Beasts, miscellaneous notes, tempi and key schematics, n.d.
- Full score, The Friendly Beasts, front cover penciled in red “Master Sheets,” January, 1964.
- Full score, The Friendly Beasts, front cover with note “score copy 1,” n.d.; inserted is a letter to Shirley Verrett, September, 2003; two errata lists, n.d.
- Full score, The Friendly Beasts, front cover with note “score copy 2,” n.d.
- Collection of various texts, author(s) unidentified, gathered as possible libretto for planned composition entitled Ages of Love: A Cantata, with additional notes and sketches for instrumentation, key schematics, significant rhythmic patterns, n.d.; letter from the estate of Thomas Wolfe, 1958, denying permission to use a quotation. [Original file folder label was “Quake the Limbs of God.”]
- Folders a through f: Miscellaneous compositional pencil sketches, 1957-2005; collection of various printed, typed and hand-written texts in folder labeled “Poems for Music,” n.d.
- Photocopy of Lohengrin: Prelude to Third Act, full score, made in 1997 as evidenced by inclusion of copyright clearance statement.
- Full score, Sonorities for Flute and Orchestra, unbound, n.d., two copies
- Full score, Sonorities for Flute and Orchestra, bound in plastic spiral, n.d.
- Orchestral parts for Sonorities for Flute and Orchestra:
Flute solo (2 copies)
Horns 3 and 4
Bassoons 1 and 2
Clarinets 1 and 2
Violin 1, 6 stands
Trombones 2 and 3
Violin 2, 5 stands
Viola, 3 stands
Trumpets 2 and 3
Cello, 3 stands
Horns 1 and 2
Bass Viol, 3 stands
- Full score, Sonorities for Flute and Orchestra, unbound, with hand-written errata sheet, 1971.
- Two piano scores of Mountain Tunes, by Wendell Kinney, 1936 and 1943; correspondence from G. Schirmer, publishers, 1949 and 1956, regarding orchestral and band arrangements of Mountain Tune, 195?; hand-written sketches for two compositions, Children Coming Home, 1996, and Merry Christmas Margaret Amelia, 1997.
Back to Top
Archives houses various college publications, scrapbooks, memorabilia and statistics from 1860 on, as well as college annual reports, budgets, and salary information.
Our special collections include scores of unique collections of local history, regional interest, and national significance.
Many of these collections are in BUTL 218 (map). To use these materials, please review our policies, and schedule an appointment using the contact information below.
Monday - Friday:
8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Archivist: Daniel DiLandro
Staff Assistant: Margaret Hatfield
Fronczak Room Curator: Wanda Slawinska